The Ralph and Rose Solecki Award is given in honor of the eminent Columbia archaeologists, shown here in a 1957 photograph. The Award is given to a student, chosen by the faculty, who has made a significant contribution to the life of the archaeological community at Columbia and/or Barnard in the preceding year. The Solecki award is usually made to a graduating student, but it is open to all students in archaeology regardless of their status. The award comes with a small sum of money intended for books.

Photo: © John Taggart for the Wall Street Journal

College guidelines for Departmental Honors include the following three criteria:
1. Departmental Honors are awarded to no more than 10 percent, or, in small departments, one member of the graduating majors (including all October, February, and May degrees);
2. A grade point average of at least 3.6 in major courses is expected for a student to be considered for Departmental Honors;
3. An honors thesis or equivalent project of high quality should be required by each department or academic program in order to receive Departmental Honors.

What classes do you recommend for someone interested in an Archaeology Major or Concentration?

We post a list of recommended classes for the major each semester. It can be found on the Center for Archaeology website under FAQ. The core required introductory classes, offered annually, are the following. They are a good place to start:

The rise of major civilization in prehistory and protohistory throughout the world, from the initial appearance of sedentism, agriculture, and social stratification through the emergence of the archaic empires.

An archaeological perspective on the evolution of human social life from the first bipedal step of our ape ancestors to the establishment of large sedentary villages.

ACLG V2028 Think Like an Archaeologist: Introduction to Method & Theory (Spring)
A comprehensive introduction to methods and theory in archaeology. What are archaeological sites and how do we ‘discover’ them? How do archaeologists ‘read’ or analyze sites and artifacts?

Which major or concentration should I sign up for?

There are two ways to study archaeology. You may be  unsure as to which major to take, since there are options tailored to particular interests.  You usually won’t need to  declare until  you have taken some archaeology classes. By that point it usually starts to become clear which option will work best for you. Here are the options:

  1. The Interdisciplinary Major and Concentration: this is a coordinated program that most often crosses over between Anthropology and Art History & Archaeology, but also draws students with an interest in Classics, History, EALAC and MEALAC. The core goal of this program is to provide students with the range of disciplinary approaches to the study of the human past through its material residues.

This program is good for those who are interested in the archaeology of the classical world, those who would like to explore the range of disciplinary orientations to archaeology, and those who would like to take classes that focus on different regions of the world.

  1. Archaeology track within Anthropology (Major or Concentration): a student in this program takes a core set of courses in archaeology, while maintaining an anthropological focus to your study. Your degree will be in Anthropology

This major is good for students who are interested in one particular region of the world and want to learn more about it, also for those interested in anthropological theory particularly as it applies to archaeology, and for those who want to apply to an anthropology program in grad school. You will able take more classes in socio-cultural anthropology as part of this major.

What are the requirements for the senior thesis?

The senior thesis is optional for the Interdisciplinary Major in Archaeology. It should be original research, analysis, or commentary and will be read by a committee of two faculty members.

If you want to write a thesis you should find a faculty advisor to work with and sign up for senior thesis advising with him or her. You will be registering for ‘individual directed research’, for 3 credits per semester over two semesters (6 credits total). In Anthropology the course code is is 3997-3998, in Art History AHIS 3997-98. No thesis proposal is required

The thesis is normally around 50 pages in length and is due to be submitted by 25th March of your final year. A draft should be turned in at least one month before this date.

Is there any funding available for fieldwork/thesis research?

  • General Studies offers $250 for GS seniors working on a senior thesis or honors project.
  • Columbia College also offer funding towards senior thesis research
  • The Anthropology Department awards money from the Stigler fund towards fieldwork. These funds are awarded competitively. Applications can be downloaded from the Center for Archaeology website. If you receive Stigler funds for fieldwork, the money cannot usually be used for tuition or fieldschool expenses.
  • The Archaeological Institute of America also offers a range of scholarships towards fieldwork experience. Details can be found on their website.
  • Other funding opportunities are listed under resources on this website


How do I find a field project for the summer?

Notices about fieldschools are often circulated throughout the year, so keep an eye on your email and the noticeboards. Check the Center for Archaeology website under fieldwork for a list of projects that are affiliated with Columbia.

You can also look at the listings on the Archaeological Institute of America website and other links listed under fieldwork. Once you have found a project that you like the look of you should contact them to see if they have space, and to find out the requirements and the costs involved. Then make an appointment to speak with the Director of Undergraduate Studies about your proposed program to ensure that you can receive credit for it.

Some grants and scholarships are available to help with the cost of fieldwork projects. See our list under funding opportunities


How do get credit for a field school that is not affiliated or recognized by Columbia?

  • Students need pre-approval from the Director of Undergraduate Studies
  • Although up to 8 points are allowed towards the degree, the DUS will approve for up to 6 credits For more than 6 credits students will need permission from the dean
  • Students need to provide syllabi for approval before the course
  • They need to submit their transcript after the course
  • The DUS will retain a record of what the college will accept transfer credit for

Can my fieldwork count towards the lab requirement?

We will allow fieldwork to fulfil the lab requirement if students can show that this was a component of their fieldwork. In this case you will need to discuss with and get approval from the Director of Undergraduate Studies.

Can I complete my fieldwork requirement by attending this dig/project?

Some students want to carry out fieldwork on research projects rather than on field schools. In this case they should talk to the DUS about taking an independent study with a faculty member when they return in order to get course credit. Written work is required as a consequence of the field participation, usually a journal kept while on the fieldwork project, along with a paper that critically assesses your experiences of fieldwork and/or the material that you excavated.

Does this particular class count toward the interdisciplinary major?

It can count directly towards the major if it has some archaeological component – this includes the following:

  • Any class that deals with material culture with an orientation towards the past. This could be architecture, monuments, landscape as well as material that has been excavated or collected during survey. It can also include the recent past, as long as the orientation is material in outlook.
  • Any class that reads archaeological theory
  • Classes on the history of human evolution or on human skeletal biology

I have a museum internship. Can I get course credit for it?

If you have a museum internship you can be awarded 3 credits for 120 hours over the semester. You will be expected to keep a journal and will need to sign up with a faculty advisor for a program of independent study. This will include writing a short paper, and carrying out relevant reading.

What counts as a ‘related class’?

A class can count as related if the student can make a case that it is relevant to his or her course of study. Classes that count as related rather than as part of the major include examples such as the following:

  • Classics or history classes that deal only with textual analysis and do not incorporate any study of material objects.
  • Geology classes that have no connection with the human past
  • Palaeontology
  • Classes on primates, ecology etc
  • Language classes




  1200 Amsterdam Ave.
MC 5523
New York, NY 10027
  (212) 854-1390